Monday 26 September 2011

Competition Winner

 Win a 3 Night Butlins Break & Meet The Soaplife Football Team

Rewind : As a little girl I loved Neighbours, and I think most of my classmates did too. It was a daily watch when I was younger and I loved the characters. (ILF : Ian Smith the actor who played Harold Bishop starred in a low budget horror called Body Melt which I remember from when I was younger, a really grisly film that stuck in my memory) Later in my twenties, I became addicted to Hollyoaks.  Although I haven't seen many soaps recently, I was thrilled to win this competition - and a chance to meet soap stars.  I brushed up on my knowledge of current storylines in the main soaps and prepared for my break.

I won this competition in August, and on the 23rd of September, I was travelling down to Skegness with my boyfriend and his parents. I left at 2.15pm and we arrived on-site at just after 7pm. It was a long drive to the resort but we were happy and excited. The representative from Soaplife (Mary) had the longest journey of all, so we got off quite lucky.  (Damn the A14!)

When we arrived on the resort, we went to Gold Reception to get our key cards and welcome pack for the weekend. We managed to get to the buffet restaurant (The Yacht Club) just in time before they closed, and we had a lovely dinner together. I had a carvery which was really nice. We settled into our Gold Apartment which boasted three bedrooms and a plasma television in the living room and watched some TV for a while. We were absolutely exhausted by the journey, so we went to bed early. I dreamt about the mob making me dance for them that night, weird!

 The next day we woke up bright and early and went for breakfast. The Yacht Club had an excellent full English and we were ready for the day ahead.

We walked down the beach at Skegness for a while until we reached Fantasy Island and then caught Joe's Train back to the resort.

The weather was fantastic. It was gloriously sunny and the beach was beautiful. The sea seemed to go on forever, and the sky was a wonderful shade of blue.

We met the Soaplife Football Team at 11am and had our photos taken, then we went off-site to Hardy's Animal Farm which boasted a variety of farmyard animals that were extremely tame. The goats were really funny - each trying to get the most food. We came back for dinner. (I had tortilla wraps with chicken, yum!) At 6.30pm we had a meet and greet with the Soaplife Football Team. They were really lovely, and the awards were funny - they were very accomodating and their banter was hilarious. After the meet and greet, we went back to the apartment and went to bed.

The next day we were up bright and early. We went for breakfast and then went straight out to visit a couple of places in Skegness. The first was a sanctuary for birds called The Parrot Zoo.  This was a really lovely place with tons of amiable feathered friends dancing and talking in the hopes of getting a peanut from you. There was a wonderful walk-through which allowed you to come into contact with the birds as they flew around you and perched nearby. As well as birds, there were some monkeys and meerkats. As usual, the meerkats were sitting up on their back legs, surveying the world around them.

After The Parrot Zoo, we went to Bateman's Brewery for a tour. I brought some Mocha beers which seemed interesting, and we tried them on the night. When we got back, we went out for dinner (I had the most gorgeous fish, chips and mushy peas and a sticky toffee pudding to die for) and then Matt and I went to see the movie Fright Night. Its a remake of the original classic, and it was really enjoyable. David Tennant reminded me of Captain Jack Sparrow and seemed to adopt many of his mannerisms. The film was reasonable, a popcorn flick - perfect to round off our Sunday.

We woke up early on Monday, and went for breakfast and then started the long trek home. I was falling asleep in the car on the way home, but when we reached Matt's parents house we had a cool refreshing drink.

I loved this weekend break so much. I've entered another competition for a weekend at Butlins, this time in Bognor Regis so fingers crossed :)  Big thanks to Mary, who was a brilliant representative from Soaplife and to the Soaplife Football Team and to Butlins for making our stay a really fantastic time.

See, real people do win prizes!

Gina x

No comments:

Post a Comment